UN Women company opens jobs for Gender Coordination Officer - Colombo positions in the Western Province region. The type of work we provide is Full-time.
The criteria for the employees we need are having Other skills with Entry level experience, as well as employees who are honest, disciplined and responsible.
The Headhunters company itself is engaged in International Affairs, of course if you are interested in applying for this company, you can register immediately.
|Position:||Gender Coordination Officer - Colombo|
|Region:||Western Province, Colombo - Western Province|
|Seniority Level:||Entry level|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
About The Position
UN Women together with the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator (RCO), is recruiting a Gender Coordinator Officer to coordinate collective engagement for gender equality and women’s empowerment of the UN Country Team in Sri Lanka.
The UNCT in Sri Lanka implemented the UNCT-SWAP Gender Scorecard for the first time in 2020, establishing a baseline for the progress that the UNCT has been making collectively on gender equality and women’s empowerment, over the 5-year cycle of the UN Sustainable Development Framework 2018-2022 (UNSDF). A detailed action plan was subsequently developed with the support of Heads of Agencies which included the institution of a resource person to lead and coordinate the work of the Gender Thematic Group (GTG) of the UNCT in Sri Lanka, to ensure progressive improvement on gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE) outcomes, as measured against the UNCT-SWAP Gender Scorecard. A first iteration of the position was funded in 2021 by UN Women following which, in December 2021, the UNCT agreed to provide cost-shared funding to support a new iteration of the position.
The continuation of this position is expected to support the progress of the GTG of the UNCT to strengthen the accountability and progress of the UN system in Sri Lanka on internal approaches and safeguards for gender equality. It will also guide, strengthen, and coordinate joint and collective efforts towards GEWE in the new Cooperation Framework for the period 2023-27, in which gender equality and women empowerment has been collectively agreed to as a dedicated Strategic Priority and Outcome. As the UNSDCF 2023-2027 has been recognized as the “the most important instrument for planning and implementation of the UN development activities at country level in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (2030 Agenda)” as per General Assembly resolution 72/279, the role of the Gender Coordination Officer in support of the UNSDCF will help leverage broader strategic engagement on GEWE with a wide range of stakeholders.
Duties And Responsibilities
Under the overall management of UN Women and matrix supervision of the Head of the RCO, the Gender Coordination Officer will work closely with the Chair of the GTG and be responsible for the following duties:
Coordination and strengthening of the UN Gender Theme Group:
- Provide technical advisory and support to the Resident Coordinator and the RCO, as well as the GTG Chair, on the coordination and secretarial functions of the UN Gender Theme Group, in close collaboration with UNCT members.
- Provide technical advisory and coordination to the roll-out of a strategy and Annual Work Plans for the UN GTG, in line with the Action Plan of the UNCT SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard Report, and the goals of the UNSDCF;
- Provide technical advisory and facilitation of the UN GTG’s leading of capacity-building for relevant UN inter-agency structures on mainstreaming GEWE in SDGs;
- Provide substantive technical inputs to reports, documents, briefing notes, policy briefs on specific thematic issues as relevant;
- Coordinate, consolidate and finalise input from GTG members for country and HQ level reports as needed;
- Contribute to strengthening strategic partnerships and coordination for GEWE within the UN System and with external partners, including government, development partners, and civil society;
- Foster knowledge management and information flow among GTG members, including creating a repository for the GTG.
Support to the Resident Coordinator’s Office on coordinating joint efforts for GEWE:
- Liaise with the UNSDCF Outcome Results Groups (ORGs) to improve coordination between the GTG and the ORGs, towards improving streamlined gender mainstreaming in the work of the ORGs;
- Advice and support the RCO with its annual planning and reporting processes in relation to GEWE;
- Document and advocate best practices and lessons learnt for UN System-wide coordination;
- Liaise with regional and HQ offices on developments related to stakeholder coordination on GEWE;
- Assist the RCO PSEA Focal point on the UNCT-wide action on PSEA
Key Performance Indicators
Support the UN System on coordinating joint efforts for GEWE:
- Review, analyse and draft summaries of reports and policy documents, and of intergovernmental outcomes, from a GEWE perspective, and draft documents as needed (i.e., concept notes, briefing notes, talking points and presentations);
- Provide technical advice to the outcome results groups (ORGs) and Joint Work Plan process on Gender Equality as part of the UNSDCF 2023-2027, in line with the UNCT-SWAP Scorecard on Gender;
- Identify and provide technical leadership in UN joint programming opportunities for agencies to deliver on the UNSDCF’s Strategic Priority and Outcome on GEWE;
- Undertake gender analysis of joint UN programming using global markers;
- Support government and CSO participation in UN and inter-governmental processes on GEWE through coordination and logistical support;
- Conduct briefings and training for relevant government and other stakeholders on processes and mechanisms on GEWE, and develop resultant key messages, lessons learnt and good practice;
- Foster knowledge management and information flow on coordination on GEWE in inter-governmental processes;
- Contribute to joint UN and donor advocacy efforts for GEWE.
Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Over a 12-month period starting from the assumption of duties, the incumbent will be expected to deliver the following outputs:
- Provision of up to date and well researched technical expertise on GEWE as well as coordination support to the Chair GTG and RCO, taking into account contemporary UN policies and country context developments.
- Continuing support to the UNCT for the implementation of the GTG workplan
- Regular UNCT-SWAP GE Scorecard progress reporting, identification of gaps and development of possible UNCT actions through the GTG, in coordination with RCO, ensuring annual improvements in the UNCT’s aggregate score card rating.
- Convening of regular GTG meeting – at least 2 per quarter (8 per year) – with necessary follow-up on GTG decisions to ensure progress
- Frequent drafting of briefing notes and concept notes etc. for joint initiatives in response to country context developments
- Continuing support to the UNCT for the coordination of the PSEA action plan
- Improved performance on the UNCT-SWAP Gender Scorecard through the coordination of the GTG
- Demonstrated support on the planning, implementation, and reporting of joint programming as part of UNSDCF 2023-2027.
- Reflection of gender perspectives in UN joint programming and advocacy measurably increased;
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://ww.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf .
- Strong technical expertise, knowledge and understanding of GEWE in Sri Lanka;
- Competency in promoting GEWE in development programmes, including experience in coordination, strategic partnerships, and capacity building on GEWE;
- Strong analytical as well as written and oral communication skills;
- Familiarity with the UN Sustainable Development Goals;
- Ability to conceptualize, develop and use knowledge management strategies to promote effective decision-making and intra/inter-organizational collaboration;
- Ability to work within a diverse team as well as carry out tasks independently;
- Strong planning and organizing skills with ability to identify priority activities and assignments and to use time efficiently;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to take decisions and manage political/cultural sensitivities;
- Strong IT skills;
- Familiarity with results-based management and rights-based programming;
- Familiarity with the UN system;
- Effective in establishing and fostering good relations with government counterparts, UN agencies, donors, and NGO partners.
Required Skills And Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, human rights, gender/women’s studies, international development, or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with five additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years of progressive experience at the national or international level on gender equality, women’s empowerment and human rights with a strong background on strategic management and coordinating GEWE within the UN, with government, civil society and other stakeholders.
- Experience in capacity building and training UN, government or stakeholders on GEWE.
- Experience in providing substantive technical inputs on GEWE.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the areas of GEWE.
- Experience in mobilizing resources desirable.
- Familiarity with results-based management and rights-based programming desirable.
- Familiarity with UN system or other international organizations desirable.
- Fluency in English and Sinhala/Tamil is required.
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from Application and recruitment process | About us: Careers at UN Women | UN Women – Headquarters Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
- At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits employ, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity, and organizational need.
- If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
- UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check).
Refer a Friend Apply Now
- Comfortable environment
- Taught when starting work
- Salary bonus if there is overtime
Job Application Information
The information we provide above may be updated suddenly, please keep looking for complete information via the "Apply Now" button or on the official website of the company UN Women, so as not to find unwanted events ^_^.
Tips from Admin: applying for a job is free of charge.
Hopefully you get the job you want.
- Click the "Apply Now" button above.
- After that you will be directed to the Submission of Application page, there are tips for submitting applications and interviews.
- On the application submission page, click the "Application Form" button.
- On that page you can see more complete company information and see the number of people applying for the job.
- Next is to click "Apply".
- Please register on the website if you don't have an account, but if you do, you can immediately fill out the application form.